Re: Cross-references among included schema documents

"Michael Kay" <mhk@mhk.me.uk> writes:

> But delaying the resolution doesn't change the outcome. If B contains a
> QName that identifies a component defined in C, and if B doesn't itself
> include or import C, then the rule tells me that the QName doesn't resolve,
> and I can't see how delaying the attempt at resolution changes this. The
> only way I can get the name to resolve is by using a different schema from
> the one specified in the rule, namely the schema corresponding to schema
> document A (which includes B and C). The rule as written doesn't allow me to
> do that.

It allows you to do so in the context of the schema corresponding to
A.  Stipulate that in the schema corresponding to B, in a component
BED, the reference is unresolved.  That doesn't prevent the
construction of the schema corresponding to A, which, as a consequence
of including B, incorporates a component isomorphic to BED, call it
AED, in which the unresolved reference is preserved, but then
resolved.

                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk