Re: Who tests UPA?

"Xan Gregg" <Xan.Gregg@jmp.com> writes:

> Zafar Abbas of Microsoft pointed out to me that the CDISC ODM schema [1]
> I pointed to in a previous note contains a UPA violation.
>
>  <xs:sequence>
>   <xs:element ref="Study" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
>   <xs:element ref="AdminData" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
>   <xs:element ref="ReferenceData" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
>   <xs:element ref="ClinicalData" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
>   <xs:element ref="Association" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
>   <xs:element ref="ds:Signature" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
>   <xs:any namespace="##other" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
>  </xs:sequence>
>
> I hadn't noticed it and neither did any validator I tried. Apparently
> some version of the Microsoft validator does catch the error.  I
> tried Turbo XML, Xerces (via <oXygen>), XML Spy, Stylus Studio,
> and XSV.  None complained.  (I take it if I tried the MS validator,
> the license would prevent me from reporting the results anyway!)

XSV reports an error if you ask it to check the schema (with the -i
switch).  XSV in its basic mode of operation, as used from the Web
form, just schema-validates documents.  The ODM schema document is a
valid schema document per the sForS.  Converted to a schema, it
violates UPA, but XSV doesn't check that until you use the schema to
validate with, or use the -i switch.

                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk