RE: [xml-dev] New release (2.8) of XSV

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:11:55 +0100
To: "'Henry S. Thompson'" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, "'Jeff Rafter'" <lists@jeffrafter.com>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

> The really good news is that this approach doesn't require XSV to punt
> in the face of large exponents, which it used to do (i.e. treated all
> numbers > 100 in min/maxOccurs as if they _were_ 100).  All other
> existing processors do something similar (that is, punt above some
> number), I believe.
>
> I hope to write up the new algorithm RSN . . .

Saxon uses the Thompson/Tobin 2003 algorithm, with the default limits set to
100 for minOccurs and 250 for maxOccurs; the new version 8.1.1 issued today
allows these limits to be configured (but of course you'll run out of memory
if you set them too high).

A public thanks for the algorithm - a fine example of researchers using
their grants to deliver something that's actually useful. I'm looking
forward to seeing the new version.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/