Modelling composite Schemata

From: Frans Englich <frans.englich@telia.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:17:18 +0000
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Hello,

In an XML format of mine I need embedded XHTML, information for human reading,
documenting the "object" the document instance describes. I have hesitations
on how to do that in the best way.

Currently I do like this:

       <xsd:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
                schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2002/08/xhtml/xhtml1-strict.xsd"/>

        <xsd:element name="test" type="xhtml:Block"/>

However, from what I can tell, the content of the <test> element isn't XHTML
any longer, but just a brick of the document I built, labeled as what the
targetNamespace says. I see namespaces as "identifiers" for XML applications,
and any 3rd party, such as a a XSLT sheet, no longer sees XHTML, but must
learn my particular format.

That was what I _first_ thought, but then I realized that:

<test>
</test>

didn't validate without <div> being in the XHTML namespace. Apparently, it
"is" still XHTML.

So I'm confused. What if I /didn't/ want it to be XHTML but be my format, and
only borrow the XHTML complexType as a building block? (perhaps it's a weird
unrealistic question)

I interpret it as that WXS:targetNamespace doesn't matter(not that I mind in
this case :) ); from whatever namespace a building block emerges from, is
what they'll have.

I used libxml2 2.6.16 for validation.

Cheers,

		Frans