RE: qualified local/global Re: Namespace problem

From: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:07:05 +0100
To: "'Burak Emir'" <Burak.Emir@epfl.ch>, "'George Cristian Bina'" <george@sync.ro>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>, "'Volker Zink'" <Volker.Zink@porabo.ch>

> My confusion is all due to my belief that namespace prefixes
> would never
> play a role in attribute *values*, which is obviously wrong
> for XSDs. I,
> for one, would appreciate an XSD syntax that makes these things more
> straightforward (=does not use xmlns attributes).

I have suggested before, and suggest again, that any specification that
allows the use of namespace prefixes in attribute content (for example XML
Schema and XSLT/XPath) should provide an alternative syntax that uses the
namespace URI in place of the prefix, thus at least giving users the option
of creating documents that have no hidden dependencies on namespace
prefixes.

Michael Kay