Is document order of content in XML required?

From: Dan Vint <dvint@dvint.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:15:20 -0800
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

I've had an interesting discussion occur within my organization. I have
some folks that are advocating for a sequence attribute on a repeating
element situation.

I have the following design:

<!ELEMENT Group (Content | Group)+>

They want the Group and Content element to have a sequence number/attribute
because they believe implied order (order in the document instance) is not
required to be maintained. This may have started with the early DOM
implementations from some of the arguments that I'm getting.

Comments?

I don't believe this is true and I'll explain below, but they want a
reference in the schema or XML spec that says - document order is preserved
and important. I have a feeling that it isn't there because this is such a
fundamental requirement that it is like stating the obvious - "the sky is
blue". Because I can't come up with a reference they won't believe my
following reasoning:

1) How do all those publications/documents work like HTML where there is a
repeating <p> tag ? No one numbers these elements.

2) I have stylesheets that have been working against the above design and
they have never lost order from the source document.

3) XPath/XSLT talk about document order, you have the position() function,
you have the position parameter p[1] and axis specifiers that read in
document or reveres document order

4) The Schema spec itself uses this design for specifying the content of an
element or complex data type.

please help

..dan
Danny Vint