Re: Child elements and typing by restriction

Hans Teijgeler <hans.teijgeler@quicknet.nl> writes:

>    * I have a complexType with attributes and child elements
>    * I create another complexType that I want to type by
>    'restriction' with the first complexType
>    * Then Spy goes bananas, because apparently those child elements
>    are in the way
>
> My question 1 now is: If I want to restrict the second complexType
> by making one or more inherited child elements "prohibited", what
> should I do?

Just leave them out -- they have to be optional in the first type defn.

> My question 2 now is: If I want to restrict the second complexType
> by giving one or more inherited attributes a fixed value and NOT
> touch the child elements, what should I do?

Repeat the attribute decls, with the addition of the 'fixed' value
decl.  You have to repeat the elements in the second type defn -- I
realise this is the opposite of attributes, and may be a surprise --
You can use a named model group and reference it from both the first
and second type defns, if there are really no changes between the two.

                      Half-time member of W3C Team