Re: Using types from the S4S

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:04:31 +0000
To: "Hugh Wallis" <hugh_wallis@hyperion.com>
CC: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Hi Hugh,

> I want to have a type that is identical to the type "allNNI" in the
> Schema for Schemas.
>
> XML Spy doesn't seem to like it though if I just use it without
> declaring my own version of it, yet in the S4S it appears to be a
> global type in the http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema namespace
>
> Are such types not available for general use?

The only types that are usable in all schemas are the *built-in*
types. The built-in types are the ones shown in the nice diagram at:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#built-in-datatypes

The allNNI type that you are talking about is defined in the Schema
for Schema; it is not built-in to all schemas. The fact that the
built-in types and the types defined in the Schema for Schema have the
same namespace does not mean that the types in the Schema for Schema
are built-in.

If you want to have the definitions and declarations that are defined
and declared in the Schema for Schama available in your own schema,
you need to import it:

  <xs:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
             schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd" />

Cheers,