RE: Internet Access for schema's

From: Cams Ismael <Ismael.Cams@siemens.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:46:51 +0100
To: "'Shirish Kulkarni'" <shirish_kul@yahoo.com>
Cc: "'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Hello Shirish,

>Does the following URL in the instance document

>xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance

>OR

><xsd:schema
>xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"

>in the schema document, require the machine to be
>connected to the internet ?

No, certainly not ! These URL's are namespaces and although they refer to an
URL that exists, this URL doesn't have to exist. All the elements you use in
a schema are defined in the http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema namespace. When
you change this namespace, the elements prefixed with xsd are not recognized
anymore as schema elements and therefore your validation failes. This sounds
probably a little bit confusing, but explaining namespaces is not my
strongest point. Therefore I should recommend to read
http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_namespaces.asp an excellent tutorial about
namespaces.

Hope this clarifies.

Kind regards,