Re: eXtreme eXtensibility

From: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:36:03 +0100
To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
Cc: "xmlschema-dev" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> I have written a paper[1] which shows a way of designing an XML Schema
> so that it places no restrictions on the vocabulary that instance
> documents employ, and which facilitates the growth of data in a highly
> distributed fashion.

Very interesting. Nevertheless...

As you mention, this kind of application is what RDF is meant for. While I'm
also struggling a bit at the moment how to make effective use of RDF (i.e.
how to efficiently reconstruct conventional objects from a set of RDF
statements), I'm not sure I see much sense in emulating the kind of
functionality RDF provides with XML Schema.

Currently, the main benefits of providing an XML Schema along with our data

1) Allow simple code generation a la JAXP, so people don't have to bother
with SAX/DOM.

2) Allow access to certain data through web services.

As far as I can see, the kind of open schemas you describe wouldn't work
very well with either use case, so I'll rather use XML Schema in the
classical way, and provide a separate RDF view of our data.

Eric Jain