From: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk [mailto:ht@inf.ed.ac.uk]On Behalf Of Henry S. Thompson
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 11:19 AM
To: shayb@rafael.co.il
Cc: Xmlschema-Dev
Subject: Re: Problem with validation against Schema.

"SHAY" <shayb@rafael.co.il> writes:

> Hello Henry.
>
> I followed your instructions and the outcome is: Removal of the xsi:
> prefix from the elements raises this Error massage: The element
> 'proposals' is used but not declared in the DTD/Schema.  I tried
> not to mention the xsi attribute at all, something like this:
>
> <proposals noNamespaceSchemaLocation="file:///C:/My
> Documents/proposal1.xsd">
>
> But in this case the processor doesnt even bother to locate the
> schema. It ignores it.  Only when the xsi: prefix is attached to all
> elements the schema is located and checked for well-formedness. But
> - no validation performed.

I didn't say to remove the declaration, or to remove the prefix from
the attribute.  Your instance should begin:

  <proposals xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
       xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="file:///C:/My
Documents/proposal1..xsd">

I encourage you to look at the Primer [1], or get an introductory XML
Schema book -- you seem to be a bit unfamiliar with how namespaces and
schemas work.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/
                      Half-time member of W3C Team
 [mail really from me _always_ has this .sig -- mail without it is forged
spam]