Re: block, blockDefault

"Alain Andrieux" <aa_vrac@hotmail.com> writes:

<snip/>

> Let's say schema A states blockDefault="#all". In schema B , which
> imports schema A, I can create types derived from the complex types
> exposed by this schema.  I am wondering what is the use of these
> derived types if I cannot instanciate an element of those types...Is
> there a namespace subtlety I am missing here?  Can I have elements
> declared in a different namespace that use those derived types or
> not at all? What is the point of a block="#all" thena as opposed to
> final="#all"?

Basically, block controls what can occur in instances when a given
type defn is named in an element or attr decl.  If you derive your
own types from a block='#all' type defn, you are free to use those
derived types in your _own_ element and attr decls, you just can't use
them in an xsi:type on, or an element substituted for, an element
declared with the original type defn.

                      Half-time member of W3C Team