Just want to make sure I understand anyType correctly

From: Montgomery-Recht Evan <recht_evan@bah.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:21:57 -0400
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

I'm working on a project that is ending up having to modify some schema
definitions that are pre-existing schema files.  As far as I can tell I have
modified things properly, but I seem to be running into a problem (and it
may be a XMLSpy issue.)

In any case I have a definition in my schema for the following

<element name="DocumentValue" type="anyType"/>

Which I've done so I can put any old generic XML file inside, at least that
was the theory.  So basiclly I imported that schema definition into another
xsd file, and ran into a issue when using XMLSpy, it's recognizing it as a
datatype 'string'.  Which is not what I desire.

The basic question I have is I think I can fix this by doing a substitution
group on DocumentValue, where I reference the other schema, but I'd rather
not have to do that if possible.  Below is the modification I made to make
it work.

<element name="DocumentValue" type="new:NewStructuredType"
substitutionGroup="original:DocumentValue"/>

The question I have is the issue I'm observing a case of operator error,
does the XMLSpy not support what I need, or am I just doing it the wrong
way.

Thanks,

evan