Re: Documentation on refs to global elements

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:20:00 +0100
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org, Mark Feblowitz <mfeblowitz@frictionless.com>

Hi Mark,

> Is it legal for a ref to a global element to have annotations?

I believe it is, in fact the Rec. specifically says:

  2 If the item's parent is not <schema>, then all of the following
    must be true:
  2.1 One of ref or name must be present, but not both.

  2.2 If ref is present, then all of <complexType>, <simpleType>,
      and type must be absent, i.e. only minOccurs, maxOccurs, id are
      allowed in addition to ref, **along with <annotation>**.

                                                         (my emphasis)

> Can those annotations differ from the annotations on the global
> element definition?

I don't see anything that says that they can't.

*However*, there is nothing at the schema component level that retains
this annotation -- there is no {annotation} property on the particle
schema component -- so effectively there's no point in including an
<annotation> at this level. This is something that has been spotted
before so hopefully there'll be an erratum on it at some point:

Jeni Tennison