RE: view xml-schema with svg

From: Danny Ayers <danny666@virgilio.it>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:35:34 +0200
To: <AndrewWatt2000@aol.com>, <czadra@bluewin.ch>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Hi Cyrill,

I agree entirely with Andrew on the suitability of SVG for this kind of
task.
I have put together a little tool, "Squirrel"  [1] for graphically exploring
XML documents which use SVG as a front end to server-side Java.

SVG is XML, and that allows quite a few alternate solutions to this kind of
problem. Server-side processing as in Squirrel can be used (in pretty much
any language you like) or the work can be done by scripts within the SVG
itself, as Jim Ley has done with his 'Simplistic RDF Editor' [2]. There are
also several approaches to the code itself - looking at XML then DOM (as in
Squirrel) or XSLT (as in the Slidemaker mini-app also at the link below) can
be used directly to generate the SVG.

If you are comfortable with Java, then I'd strongly recommend looking at the
Apache Batik toolkit - very powerful. Whatever language you prefer, I'd
strongly recommend looking at SVG Unleashed ;-)

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://ideagraph.net/unleashed/
(I've not finished this page yet! - I'll put the source up right away)

[2] http://jibbering.com/rdf/editor.html
---
Danny Ayers
<stuff> http://www.isacat.net </stuff>