Re: Choice

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:42:40 +0000
To: Piccand Régis <regis.piccand@imtf.ch>
CC: "Schema Dev XML (E-mail)" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Hi Piccand,

> --> hummm ... as far as I know, Schematron is not a w3c
> recommendation - How will it evolve/be supported in the future -
> will the W3C schema evolve in the direction of Schematron and extend
> their schema spec to cover Schematron features ?

Hard to say. I'd hope so, personally, because I don't think there's
any way for XML Schema to articulate everything about a markup
language without supporting a rules-based approach. I also think that
Schematron would benefit from the structure-oriented approach of XML
Schema. The XML Schema WG are apparently working on XML Schema 1.1
(http://www.w3.org/XML/Activity.html#future) but I imagine that will
involve bug fixes rather than extensive changes to the language (?)

In the meantime, there are tools that support XML Schema and
Schematron combinations, see e.g. http://www.topologi.com/.

Cheers,

Jeni

---