Re: Clarification on enumerations

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:26:09 +0100
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org, "Biron,Paul V" <Paul.V.Biron@kp.org>
CC: Michael Leditschke <mike@ammd.com.au>

Hi Paul,

> Well, there are many in the WG (myself included) who felt that the
> pattern facet should only apply the xs:string (and types derived
> from it). That is, we wanted to say that the pattern facet, like all
> others (with the exception of whiteSpace :-) applies to the value
> space (since for xs:string the value and lexical spaces are
> identical). However, "we" lost the battle and pattern applies to all
> types...hence the oddity of how it is described...as effecting the
> value space by operating on the lexical space.

Personally, I think it's very useful having something constraining the
lexical space. It's handy having something that can articulate rules
like "a decimal with exactly two decimal places" or "a duration that
only specifies days and time", so I'm glad that you lost that
particular battle :)

Cheers,

Jeni

---