forbidding specific strings as content

From: Michael Kohler <u_mkohler@UMassD.Edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 15:02:36 -0500 (EST)
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
I am developing a schema that must make sure that the content of an
element is a valid c identifier.  In order to do this I need to be able
to provide a list of strings that are to be considered invalid content.

i.e.
	<ValidCIdentifier>else</ValidCIdentifier>
--should not be allowed as 'else' is a reserved word, while 'elsea'
would be allowed.

I have not seen any schema attribute or element that allows the
definition of what is not allowed.  Patterns don't seem to be the
correct way to go, but I could be wrong.

What would be the best way of achieving this?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you