Re: Confirmation welcome, --31, --30, --29 and -02-29 oddities...

From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:23:27 +0100
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Hi Martin,

Martin Duerst wrote:

> Hello Eric,
>
> I'm not sure what was intended, but I would go for only those
> dates that have the actual number. This would also be much closer
> to what the ISO 8601, which says something like 'a day with
> number 31' (i.e. only one day, underspecified, rather than
> all days, throughout the ages).

I am just trying to understand the rec to be able to explain it :=) ...

I am also worried that different schema processor may continue to
produce different results which is one of the most serious threats I see
on W3C XML Schema today!

This being said, --31 could be used to specify the last day of the months.

There are probably some real world use cases. For instance, my telephone
company sends me a bill on each month the same day I have subscribed. I
don't think they bill their customers who have subscribed on a 31th only
7 times a year...

> Either way, it's not of much use, because there are very few things
> that really work that way. The safest use for gDay is to store
> a part of a date when you take it appart. But it's not a good
> idea to take a date apart, because it's possible to translate
> dates to other calendar systems for user display, whereas it's
> not possible for something like gDay.
>
> So the shortest summary is 'keep your hands away from it'.

gDay shouldn't have been defined in this case!

Thanks

Eric

--
Rendez-vous a` Paris pour le Forum XML.