Re: More surprises (ID, ENTITY, NOTATION, ...)

From: Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI <kohsukekawaguchi@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:25:48 -0700
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

> Section 4.3.4 of part 2 says:
>
>     [Definition:] pattern is a constraint on the value space of a
>     datatype which is achieved by constraining the lexical space to
>     literals which match a specific pattern. The value of pattern must
>     be a regular expression.

There is another problem in this paragraph. Namely, the pattern facet is
not a constraint on the value space.

One can apply a pattern facet [+-]\d+ to the integer type so that "+0"
is legal but "0" is legal. But how does this facet constrain zero in the
value space? It doesn't constitute any subset.

I don't think adding "... achieved by constraining the lexical space"
solves the problem.

regards,
K.Kawaguchi
E-Mail: kohsukekawaguchi@yahoo.com