From: Jeff Rafter [mailto:jeffrafter@definedweb.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 12:59 PM
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: ISO8601 and XML Schema dateTime

Now that we have a recommendation I am trying to finalize my date
handling
(in line with the spec.)  I am strugling to understand the lexical
representation and how it fits with ISO 8601.  The spec says:

"[Definition:]   dateTime represents a specific instant of time. The
ˇvalue
spaceˇ of dateTime is the space of Combinations of date and time of day
values as defined in § 5.4 of [ISO 8601]."

1) The goes on to specify (in the lexical representation) that an
optional
+/- is allowed to precede the ISO representation of the date/time--
which is
not in ISO 8601 that I can find-- what is the reasoning?
[AM] A negative sign can be used to represent dates before the year
0001.
Remember, there is no year 0000

2) Within ISO 8601 5.4 is the combination of date (5.2) and time (5.3).
Are
additional lexical representations using truncation permitted?
[AM] No, they are not

3) Fractional parts of seconds, according to 5.2 may be separated using
the
[,] comma character and that is in fact the preferred method.  Is this
allowed wrt lexical representation of the XML Schema dateTime?
[AM] No, you must use the decimal point or period or full stop i.e. ".".

Please bear with me as I am new to date time processing and want to get
it
right.

Thanks,
Jeff Rafter
Defined Systems
http://www.defined.net
XML Development and Developer Web Hosting