Re: Authoring more difficult due to dependencies between attributes and elements

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 11:29:08 -0400
To: "Peter Stark" <pstark@telia.com>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Peter Stark writes:

>> Dependencies between the presence of attributes and
>> elements make authoring more difficult.

The short answer, I think, is that useability is to some degree a matter
of taste.  Getting it right is both art and science.  Some of the specific
suggestions you make were actively considered, or had direct analogs that
were considered by the workgroup.  The WG decided that on balance the
current syntax represents a reasonable compromise between ease of use,
ease of learning, and rigorous markup.  Everyone on the WG understands
that these choices involve both compromise and matters of taste.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142