Re: Semantics of a list datatype derived from another list

From: Morris Matsa <mmatsa@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:44:03 -0500
To: Walt Yao <Walt.Yao@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

It might be a typo.  This is the last message that I remember receiving on
the topic:

Walt Yao <Walt.Yao@cl.cam.ac.uk>@w3.org on 03/12/2001 01:18:03 PM

Sent by:  xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org

To:   xmlschema-dev@w3.org
cc:   Walt.Yao@cl.cam.ac.uk
Subject:  Semantics of a list datatype derived from another list

I am new to the list.  I've been looking through the archive but didn't
anything on this topic.  Please accept my apology if this has been

I am implementing a Schema parser w.r.t the 24/10/2000 version, and I run
into a problem with the definition of a list datatype.  As specified in
"a list
datatype must be derived from an atomic or a list datatype, know as the
of the list...".  Does this means that the value for the attribute
can be
a list type?  If so, what is the semantics of the derived list?  For
the following definitions,

    <simpleType name='listOfFloat'>
        <list itemType='float'/>

    <simpleType name='listOfListOfFloat'>
       <list itemType='listOfFloat'/>

Does this imply the 'real' itemType of listOfListOfFloat is in fact
i.e. it's just
identical to listOfFloat?  Or is the datatype listOfListOfFloat is simply
a valid type?

Please help clarify.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.