Semantics of a list datatype derived from another list

From: Walt Yao <Walt.Yao@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:18:03 +0000
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
cc: Walt.Yao@cl.cam.ac.uk
Hi,

I am new to the list.  I've been looking through the archive but didn't find
anything on this topic.  Please accept my apology if this has been discussed
before.

I am implementing a Schema parser w.r.t the 24/10/2000 version, and I run
into a problem with the definition of a list datatype.  As specified in 5.1.2,
"a list
datatype must be derived from an atomic or a list datatype, know as the
itemType
of the list...".  Does this means that the value for the attribute "itemType"
can be
a list type?  If so, what is the semantics of the derived list?  For example,
consider
the following definitions,

    <simpleType name='listOfFloat'>
        <list itemType='float'/>
    </simpleType>

    <simpleType name='listOfListOfFloat'>
       <list itemType='listOfFloat'/>
    </simpleType>

Does this imply the 'real' itemType of listOfListOfFloat is in fact 'float',
i.e. it's just
identical to listOfFloat?  Or is the datatype listOfListOfFloat is simply not
a valid type?

Please help clarify.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Walt