Re: XML Schema form DTD

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:13:45 -0400
To: vdv@dyomedea.com
Cc: Stefano.Galdo@valtech.co.uk, xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Eric van der List writes:

>> Entities just do not translate into W3C XML Schema!

You may wonder why.   It's a long, subtle discussion, but I think it's
fair to say that the rough answer is:  XML 1.0 is not extensible in this
respect.  It does not anticipate plugging in mechanisms other than DTD for
defining entities or expressing the effect of such new mechanisms on
well-formedness.   With regrets on the part of many schema WG members, we
decided that changing XML 1.0 was beyond our mandate, and that the
alternatives were effectively kludges.  I don't officially speak for the
WG, but I think that's a pretty fair summary.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142