Mixing Schema for Schema with DTD for Schema

From: Michael Anderson <michael@research.canon.com.au>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:57:29 +1100
To: "xmlschema-dev@w3.org" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
The Schema for Schema includes a document type pointing to
XMLSchema.dtd.  But as the DTD is non-normative, doesn't this make the
Schema for Schema prone to non-normative errors?  I ask because I have
come across a problem when trying to validate the Schema for Schema.
All information items with a name = element and having an attribute
named "ref" present, such as "<element ref='include'/>", attract the
default attribute values "nullable", "abstract" and "block" from the
DTD.  This then of course fails src-element.1.3 which disallows the
presence of such attributes when "ref" is present.
Can we expect the final Recommendation to have a completely
self-defining Schema for Schema?  Or would this loose some desired
functionality ( eg. like providing ID type information )?

thanks
mick.