Re: What is ur-definition ?

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:50:20 -0500
To: duerst@w3.org
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org, xmlschemadev@hotmail.com
Martin Duerst writes:

>> I happen to speak German, and I don't think there is that much
>> of a relation between ur- and u"ber- (sorry for the spelling,
>> my Japanese mailer won't let me do better). Ur- appears in
>> things such as Ursprung (origin), Urgrossvater (great-grandfather),
>> Urknall (big bang), Ursache (cause, reason), Urheber (originator,
>> author), Urgewalt (elemental force), and so on.
>> The general meaning is something like 'original', 'very very old',
>> and so on.

I stand corrected, thanks.  In any case, ur does come from the German, if
not exactly from the souce I had thought.  (I have always thought it a bit
much to mix just this bit of German into a language which is otherwise
expressed in English, as it seems to invite confusion, but....)  Thanks
for setting the record straight.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142