Re: [Moderator Action] Anonymous Types with same name problem

John Britton <johnb@peakaudio.com> writes:

> > XML Schema specifically dis-allows this [1] -- the basic
> > reasoning being that the element<->type association
> > should be stable within a particular complex type.
> >
> > ht
> > --
> >   Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group,
> >

> Thank you for the response.
>
> So, should I read the following (from XML Schema Part 1 : Structures):
> "Except for anonymous complex type definitions (those with no {name}), since
> type definitions (i.e. both simple and complex type definitions taken
> together) must be uniquely identified within an XML Schema, no complex type
> definition can have the same name as another simple or complex type
> definition."
> as allowing anonymous type definitions to have the same name,

Whoa!  anonymous==NO NAME!  Every anonymous type definition is
distinct from every other anonymous type definition, of necessity.

> but only if
> the content is declared in the same way? I read this statment as supporting
> my position (different content allowed), but I admit to not reading the rest
> of the spec carefully (in a selfish attempt to avoid instant narcolepsy).

Of course two anonymous types can have different content.  You just
can't use two anonymous types as the type of two elements with the
same name in a given content model.  See previous thread in this list
starting at [1].

ht

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlschema-dev/2001Jan/0031.html