Re: Updated schema for the XML namespace?

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 29 Dec 2001 11:21:14 +0000
To: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Surprisingly, the schema for the XML namespace:
>
> http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace.xsd
>
> is still using an old version of W3C XML Schema:
>
> <schema targetNamespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
> xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema"
>
>          xmlns:x="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace">
>
> Is there any plan to update it ? or any other location where schema
> authors may refer to get an authoritive schema for the XML namespace?

I will edit it to clarify that it is not up-to-date, and point to the
up-to-date version, at http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd.

But 'cool URLs don't change', and as there are still lots of last-call
version W3C XML Schema documents out there which use the last-call
schema for schemas (at http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema.xsd) which
in turn references that (http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace.xsd), it
would be bad net citizenship to change it.