Re: what is the replacement for xml:lang in CR version?

From: Eddie Robertsson <eddie@allette.com.au>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 10:38:54 +1000
To: Simon.Cox@csiro.au
CC: komal mangtani <mkomal@bea.com>, xml schema <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Hi,

Simon Cox wrote:

> xml:lang is /not/ a part of XML Schema, it is part of the XML instance language.
> Thus, there is no change resulting from the evolution of the XML Schema specification.
>
> komal mangtani wrote:
> >
> > I have a schema that conforms to WD version and it has references to xml:lang.
> > what is the equivalent in CR?
> >
> > here is the snippet:
> >  <element name = "FreeFormText">
> >   <complexType content = "textOnly">
> >    <attribute name = "xml:lang" type = "string"/>
> >   </complexType>
> >  </element>

This is not the correct way of using it though....
If you want to use the xml:space or xml:lang attributes in your schema you have to declare
them by reference and import the XML namespace from W3C. You can't "redeclare" the
attributes as in the above schema.
So, first you have to import the XML namespace using the import statement like:

<xs:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd"/>

You also have to add a namespace declaration on your xs:schema element. Like:

<xs:schema ...xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"...>...

No, you can reference the attributes defined by this namespace in your own schema using:

<xs:attribute ref="xml:lang"/>

Hope this helps.
/Eddie