xml schema and xml parser versions.

From: komal mangtani <mkomal@bea.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 18:15:56 -0700
To: xml schema <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

I have an xml document which I used to  validate  against an xsd which
conforms to WD version of xml schema,  using xerces 1.2.
Now, I am porting the same code to xerces 1.3.1 and it gives me error
saying certain element not defined though it already exists in xsd.

Does this mean a one version of xml parser can support only particular
version of xml schema?
if so, which version of xsd is supported by xerces 1.3.1?
Any pointers/help is appreciated.
Komal.