Re: comparitive study between shema and DTD

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 09:51:21 -0600
To: Filipe Garcia <garcia_filipe@hotmail.com>
CC: w3t-pr@w3.org, robin@isogen.com, xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Filipe Garcia wrote:

> Dear sirs,
>
> I'm writing an cientific article (paper) for magazine about the new
> language XML Schema. Thus I would like to know informations about the main
> differences between XML Schema and DTD (XML). In my paper I intend to
> compare both languages (DTD and Schema)using the same particulary document.
> Do you have documentation about this, that can help me in my research?

Among the "Presentations, guides, and tutorial materials"
indexed at
	http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema

this seems relevant:

The XML Schema Specification in Context
    by Rick Jelliffe, Academia Sinica Computing Centre
    2000-02-24 draft only
    compares XML Schema with XML DTDs, SGML DTDs, HyTime, and perl
regular expressions
http://www.ascc.net/~ricko/XMLSchemaInContext.html

Also, if you like to "Use the Source, Luke!" you might
like to study a tool that converts DTDs to schemas:

	A Conversion tool from DTD to XML Schema in perl; open source.
	http://www.w3.org/2000/04/schema_hack/

--
bind default <http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/kb>
<mailto:connolly@w3.org> is mailbox of