Re: Possible schema validation issue in 3.0b3

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 02 May 2000 09:10:34 +0100
To: "Falk, Alexander" <falk@icon.at>
Cc: "'AndyPhi@reciprocal.com'" <AndyPhi@reciprocal.com>, "Gavrielov, Vladislav" <gavrielov@icon.at>, "'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>, www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
[Note, questions which are strictly about the spec. should be directed
to www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org]

"Falk, Alexander" <falk@icon.at> writes:

> Interesting question...
>
> I've looked at both the primer and the (normative) schema for schemas and DTD
> for schemas. The first seems to indicate that 'xsd:list' should be used, but
> the normative meta-schema and DTD clearly say that it should be 'list' all by
> itself.
>
> Maybe someone else can shed some authoritative light on this: if the
> schema-namespace is defined with prefix xsd, and we have the following
> simpleType definition
>
>         <xsd:simpleType base="PermissionType" derivedBy="?????"/>
>
> should the derivedBy be 'list' (like the meta-schema and DTD say), or should
> it be 'xsd:list' (like the primer says)?

My opinion is that the primer is the mistaken one here.  The
'derivedBy' attribute has an enumerated type, with values 'extension',
'list' and 'restriction'.  It's not a reference, which would have type
QName.