compound docs: try processContents="strict" or equivalence classes

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 17:54:53 -0500
To: sytobinh@uchicago.edu
CC: xmlschema-dev@w3.org, abiword-dev@abisource.com
Hi Sam,

I just came across:

excerpt from
Subject: file format for including svg/mathml/other xml
From: sam th (sam@bur-jud-118-039.rh.uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 21:05:11 CDT

Well, in poking around in the XML schema specs I finally figured out how
to properly include non-abiword XML in an abiword document. however,
will require some minor changes in how we represent the <d> element.

Currently, we have

<d name="name">
base64 encoded
stuff here
Now, in order to include other XML in our document, it is neccessary to
have an element specifically for that purpose, like so

<path d="blah blah blah"/>

and then later

<mrow>a = b</mrow> <-- I realize this is bad MathML -->

However, it is not possible to validate these fragments, as any sort of
(well-formed) XML can go into them. However, if we create seperate
containers for each type of XML we want to include, we can do validation
properly. This would look like

<path d="..."/>

and similarly for mathml. It is then possible to specify exactly what
can legally be in <svgImage>. Me being a sucker for validation, I like
the second option.

There is another option: you can use processContents="strict" to
require that the contents of the <d> element have to be valid
w.r.t. a declared type. cf

I think the result would look like:

	<svg xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/svg-20000303-stylable'>
	<path d="...">

You might need some schemaLocation attributes... I don't think
there's an SVG schema available at that address just yet.

It seems like there should be a way to use equivalence classes
to say "any image-like thing can go here" and "svg is an image-like

But I haven't worked out the details.