Re: [Moderator Action] validating an xml without internet connection

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:45:26 -0400
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
At 08:27 AM 7/10/00 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:

>We should add local catalog/caching support to XSV, ala SP's[1].
>It shouldn't be necessary for folks to mess with their instance
>documents just to tell XSV where local copies of web resources
>are available.
>
>In fact, XSV does have a primitive form of catalog, doesn't
>it? It accepts the equivalent of schemaLocation stuff
>on the command line, no? (browse source code a bit...)
>no, I guess it doesn't.
>
>[1]  "SYSTEM sysid1 sysid2
>     This specifies that sysid2 should be used as the effective system
>     identifier if the system identifier specified in the external
>identifier was
>     sysid1. sysid2 should always be quoted to ensure that it is not
>     misinterpreted when parsed by a system that does not support this
>     extension. "

Is there any chance this kind of processing could be described in the XML
Schemas spec itself, much as XML 1.0 describes PUBLIC identifiers?

I think we've already got enough problems with underspecified usage of URIs
in various specifications as it is...

I'd like very much to see this functionality, but I'd strongly prefer that
it not be an ad hoc kind of thing.

Simon St.Laurent