Re: What does 'non-deterministic content model for type' mean?

Michael Burns <Michael.Burns@sas.com> writes:

<snip/>

> FWIW, xsv does eventually properly evaluate the instance and detect
> the one
> known irregularity in the content.  (shown below).
> It just takes it 12 HOURS on my 400Mhz PIII !

<snip/>

The reason is that you have a content model of the following form:

 <choice min='0' max='unbounded'>
  <elt ref='a' max='unbounded'/>
  <elt ref='b' max='unbounded'/>
   . . .
  <elt ref='z' max='unbounded'/>
 </choice>

Determinising the resulting FSM is exponential in the number of
elements, and is taking [approximately :-[ forever.

Remove the max='unbounded' from all the refs, the language accepted
won't change and it runs in about 30 seconds on an old Sun box.

We'll see if we can detect this case automatically, but in the mean
time be careful . . .