Re: SOM

"David Valera" <dvalera@pcl-hage.nl> writes:

>  Yes. Thanks. It would help if I only use DOM inside of my
> > applications.
> > But if I work with SAX, I have my old problem.
>
> Then you would need an extension of SAX that would also 'model' XML schema.
>
> > So I think it's useful to have a XML Schema object model
> > intependent of
> > DOM. In my first email, I used DOM only as an example of what I mean
> > with object model.
>
> I don't think it would be wise do develop a new object model to represent
> XML schema. DOM represents XML files in general, and XML schema's, being XML
> files, should be modelled in DOM.

Sorry to jump in at the end of this thread, I've been otherwise
occupied for the last few days, but this is too misleading to go
unchallenged: an XML Schema is _not_ an XML file.  One schema may
correspond to many schema documents, they are _not_ the same thing,
and cannot be made so.  Schemas involving more than one namespace are
of necessity represented by at least a pair of schema documents.
Trying to access schemas by accessing documents simply won't work in
the general case.

The appropriate objects to access from a Schema API are schema
components.  The spec. mandates that these be available as part of the
PSVI.  The DOM WG is working on making the PSVI available, there is
still discussion about whether this will be a schema-specific
facility, or done via a generic infoset-access paradigm.