Re: LC Issue 226 Resolution

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:51:14 -0700
To: Paul Denning <pauld@mitre.org>, xmlp-comments@w3.org

Paul Denning wrote:

> 1.  Details of URI encoding are out-of-scope of the Normative parts of SOAP
> 1.2 [6],

I have not proposed any details of URI encoding. I am proposing
guidelines on the URI-to-resource mapping. Nevertheless, I would accept
text in the Primer.

> 2.  The Primer provides non-normative discussion in section 3.1.3 [3],
> which appears to address your concern,

No, this is a completely unrelated matter. The point I make has nothing
to do with "RPC" nor "information retrieval". I specifically chose as an
example a situation where objects are created and destroyed. For
instance, flight itineraries or purchase orders. It has nothing to do
with the long-standing issue of when to use GET.

I believe that all of the references you have pointed me to deal with
issues other than the one I have raised. There is a clear confusion
about this issue in the SOAP implementation community and I feel it is
the Primer's responsibility to clear up the confusion.

Let me be concrete to be clear. The Primer should make it clear that it
is a violation of Web principles to send a message like this:

POST /travel_itinerary_manager

<soap:Envelope>
<soap:Body>
<itinerary_update>
   <itinerary_number>XXXXXXXXXXXXXX</itinerary_number>
   <add_flight><flight>...</flight></add_flight>
</itinerary_update>
</soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>

Instead the message should be:

POST /travel_itinerary_manager/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

<soap:Envelope>
<soap:Body>
<itinerary_update>
   <add_flight><flight>...</flight></add_flight>
</itinerary_update>
</soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>
<soap:Envelope>

This has nothing to do with GET or URI encoding schemes or any other
issue under recent discussion. It is just a restatement of a standard
Web architecture principle in a SOAP context.

"An important principle of Web architecture is that all important
resources be identifiable by URI."
--
Come discuss XML and REST web services at:
  Open Source Conference: July 22-26, 2002, conferences.oreillynet.com