Issue 133: SOAP and Web Architecture Resolution

From: Williams, Stuart <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:41:47 -0000
To: "Mark Nottingham (E-mail 2)" <mnot@mnot.net>, "Hugo Haas (E-mail)" <hugo@w3.org>, "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: "'xmlp-comments@w3.org'" <xmlp-comments@w3.org>
During the XML Protocol WG Telcon on 13th February 2002, the XMLP-WG voted
to close issue 133, SOAP and Web Architecture as proposed by the TBTF in
[1], amended as suggested by Mark Baker in [2].

The net of the resolution is:

That the HTTP binding we offer in SOAP 1.2 Part 2 Adjuncts continue to use
the
HTTP POST method in the manner established in SOAP 1.1 and to note in the
HTTP
binding described in part 2:

1) that the HTTP binding in Part 2 Adjuncts is 'an' HTTP binding rather
   than 'the' HTTP binding and that our binding framework makes it is
   possible to define additional HTTP bindings.

2) that the HTTP binding that we define on Part 2 Adjuncts *can* be used in
a manner
   that preserves POST semantics, but that it's up to the developer to use
it that
   way.

In addition, the WG resolved *not* to develop an HTTP binding that makes use
of HTTP methods other than POST was part of its activity to deliver the SOAP
1.2 specification.

Best regards

Stuart Williams
(For W3C XMLP-WG)