RE: issue 227

Hi Mark,

Well... I probably have to recuse myself with respect to holding a position
on this matter within the TAG. But FWIW here is what I think...

IMO the TAG's primary concerns were that:

1) important resources be identifiable by URI.
2) that it be possible to make appropriate use of HTTP GET to safely
retrieve (SOAP) representations of (SOAP) resources.

The WG's response to the TAG addressed both these concerns and I don't think
the particular resolution of issue 227 in anyway undermines or materially
changes that response to the TAG. I've made a couple of comments below on
the extracts that you cite.

Of course that is just my opinion - and it is probably what you would expect
it to be.

Regards

Stuart Williams
representing just his own opinion.
--

We have not and do not plan to un-say that!

> and the proposal[2] they read said (and still says);
>
> "Bindings to HTTP or such other protocols SHOULD use the Web Method
> Specification Feature to give applications control over the Web methods
> to be used when sending a SOAP message."

I see a SHOULD there. The notion of bindings using features as opposed to
providing support for them is a little awkward, but the onus of the SHOULD
is on the binding - and I read that as emphasising the need for the bindings
(actually binding specifications) to *provide* some means of control that
applications *may* use.

http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/2/06/06/soap12-part2.html#WebMethodFeature