RE: issue 227

Hi Noah,

I believe that I have said twice now that I can live with this and why
[1,2].

> Stated more verbosely:  it is note
> required that a binding specify how that binding might be used if the
> information required by some particular feature(s) is not supplied, and
> thus if the processing mandated by that feature is not performed.

That's an interesting restatement of the resolution.

> 2) In particular, the HTTP binding will continue to depend in this manner
> on the WebMethod feature.  Thus, the HTTP binding spec mandates that the
> rules of webMethod MUST be follwed, and those in turn call for
> specification of a partcular method property.

I have, I think, accepted that that is what the WG has resolved [2]. I have
stated that I don't intent to contest it and why [2].

> >> It certainly implies that
> >> implementations must code for the feature.
>
> 3)  Here's where we have to be careful.  These are all abstractions in any

> case, and nothing at any level of the properties presentation (I.e.
> feature-based or otherwise) says how to structure your code or APIs.

Yes, indeed, in large part this is why I can let the matter rest with the
WG's resolution - from outside the box there is no objective test that can
be applied to determine whether the requirement has been complied with.

> In
> your favorite Java/PERL/whatever implementation you can indeed infer
> methods in a wide variety of ways.

> You must merely be capable of
> answering the question when asked:  did your implementation behave as if
> there was a known, stable value for the web method, and if so, to it
> behave in a manner conformant with the feature spec.

Yes... if that the conformance challenge I believe I can give answers to
both questions.

> I believe that all this was settled quite crisply and finally at the F2F.
> Where is the remaining ambuguity or discomfort (obviously I understand
> some of the discomfort, as the F2F decision was clearly a compromise in
> the view of some, but I thought it was settled.)

This thread was keyed off my seeking *clarification* of the resolution text
posted to xmlp-comments.

I think that this has been discussed and clarified to let the matter rest as
resolved by the WG.

> Noah Mendelsohn                              Voice: 1-617-693-4036
> IBM Corporation                                Fax: 1-617-693-8676
> One Rogers Street
> Cambridge, MA 02142

Best regards

Stuart