RE: issue 227

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure that the ball is in my court. I've sought clarification on the
resolution of Issue 227 as recorded in xmlp-comments. I'm actually happy
with the clarification that I received from Mark Jones. I don't think there
is anything I can do to resolve different articulations of the WG's
resolution.

> > As you might expect I am happy with Mark's clarification, although I
imagine
> > that you are not ;-).
>
> 8-)
>
> > If we examine the other case... ie.. mandatory applies to use of the
> > feature... I have two remarks:
> >
> > 1) IMO the case for making use 'mandatory' has not been made.
>
> I think it was made, in part, during the discussion about inferring the
> method from the MEP; that not only can the method not be inferred, but
> that the application should specify it explicitly.  That's my
> recollection anyhow.  I agree that probably wasn't spelled out as an
> explicit position by anyone.

I don't think that strand of the discussion ever reached concensus.

> > 2) It is impossible for an external observer to assess compliance with a
> > MUST use constraint on the Web Method feature - so the constraint is
largely
> > meaningless.
>
> I think it's quite testable at design time, just not at run time; just
> write some code that uses the APIs provided by the library, and see if
> the library lets you send a message without specifying a method; if it
> does, it's not compliant.

...and that's a MUST for interop is it? Seems somewhat over specific to me.

I am not going to make an issue of this. I will express my surprise that the
WG is comfortable with such a constraint. It can certainly impose such the
constraint. I don't believe it is necessary to do so.

> MB
> --
> Mark Baker, CTO, Idokorro Mobile (formerly Planetfred)
> Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.               distobj@acm.org
> http://www.markbaker.ca        http://www.idokorro.com

Regards

Stuart