Re: Namespace names: a semi-serious proposal

John Cowan wrote:

> "Paul W. Abrahams" wrote:
>
> > Maybe the integer dispenser already exists.  If it doesn't,
> > it should.  It obviously has many uses.
>
> It does exist, indeed: these chains of integers are called OIDs and
> are used in X.500 directories among other places.  There is an OID
> for the Internet as a whole (under "ISO-Countries-United States-Department
> of Defense" for historical reasons).

So how do I get my 10*12 integers?  Do I have to be a major poobah?

Part of my proposal is the fully public nature of the integer dispenser.  Another
part is that there's no damage in having many integer dispensers as long as
uniqueness among them can be assured.

> It would be good to bring OIDs under URIs by some means such as "oid:"
> or "urn:oid:".

Yes, and deprecate all other forms of URIs as namespace names.

Paul Abrahams