Re: URI versus URI Reference

John Cowan wrote:

> "Paul W. Abrahams" wrote:
>
> > It would be better to define ``absolute'' in semantic terms, i.e., not merely in terms of
> > its syntactic form.
>
> I don't think that any such definition can exist that is both correct and
> complete.

If that's really the case, then perhaps we should drop any mention of `absolute' from the
definition I proposed and just stick with the first sentence (which comes from the Abstract,
of course).   Absoluteness, you're saying, is best thought of as a syntactic property.  My
revised grammar, including the production

     absoluteURI = URI

makes the point quite clear.

Paul Abrahams