Re: Namespace names: a semi-serious proposal

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 02:35:27PM -0400, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
> "Arnold, Curt" wrote:
> > Isn't that already achievable by using a URI with a protocol of "uuid:"
> > for the namespace and using the UUID generation algorithms.  That could
> > be a solution for relative URI's that are intended to indicate a document
> > specific namespace.
>
> Where are the UUID generation algorithms described?  I couldn't locate a
> description of UUIDs using the IETF search facility.  And as I asked
> John Cowen about OIDs, can anyone get as many UUIDs as
> they wish?  Can my grandmother get a bushel of them?

Part of hte problem with UUIDs is who's definition you go with as several
entities have things called UUIDs and/or GUIDs. Microsoft has one
definition. Guid.org has another. I think ISO has yet another. Some
use an algorithm that includes your MAC address which raises some
hairy privacy concerns.

The nice thing about most GUIDs is that they're really just a combination
of some location, a timestamp, and some hash which make it so that
you can create an insane amount of them algorithmicly...

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  michaelm@netsol.com