Re: inclusion

XML Base is setting the "Base URI within Document Content"
(see section 5.1.1 of RFC 2396).  See the diagram in section
5.1 "Establishing a Base URI" and note that the base URI
within the document content would take precedence over the
other levels (e.g., 5.1.2 Base URI from the Encapsulating Entity).

The XML Base spec [2] says "Note that the scope of xml:base
does not extend into external entities."  The next draft will
make this even clearer.  Note also that the relationship of
XML document referencing an external entity and the referenced
external entity is not one that qualifies as an "Encapsulating
Entity", so the base URI for the external entity (until an
xml:base is found) will be determined by "5.1.3. Base URI from
the Retrieval URI" which is the same as it would be if you
considered the entity standalone.

At 22:45 2000 05 24 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>Inclusion, whether via external entities or via XInclude, raises some
>painful questions regarding how/if absolutization of namespace URIs should
>take place.

[example elided]

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase