Re: RDF namespace conventions

Al Gilman wrote:

> At 11:51 AM 2000-05-22 -0400, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> >
> >So, the layer separation you suggest would work only with either
> >(a) no relative URIs -- at least a warning that XML lower layers don't grok
> >them, or
> >(b) change lower layers to absolutize before comparing.
> >
> >Either of these would be consistent.  The second would be cleaner.
> >

> Cleaner product, dirtier process.  [Personal opinion: not enough cleaner
> product to warrant the process breakage.]
>
> (a) under the 'warning' interpretation (NOT "no relative") might seem to be
> the most-broadly-agreeable way to move ahead.  We haven't taken a fresh
> straw poll in this group to be sure.

Absolutization at a very low level might also mean a lost of information
which can be a problem for some tools.

If, for instance, it was done at a SAX level, the XSLT processors
getting only absolute URIs wouldn't be able to generate namespaces with
relative URIs (might be a way to rapidly get rid of them, though ;=) ).

Eric