Re: Fixed base

keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:
> [liam@holoweb.net wrote]
>> XML Namespaces use a URI as an identifier for an
>> implicit schema
>
> Sorry, but that's incorrect. Some schema solutions may attempt to use
> namespaces as their lookup hook, but that's a different matter. Namespaces
> make no promise that they can be used directly for this purpose; check the
> spec if you have doubts.

I have read the specs involved, that's why I said "implicit".
Perhaps it would have been clearer if I had avoided the use
of the word "schema" though.

My point was (and is) that there is an association between
the namesapce URI and a set of elements -- e.g. the HTML element
set, or the Dublin Core -- with their associated rules for content
and, where appropriate, behaviour.

>> and also as a hook to activate specific behaviour.
> No more so -- and no less so -- than the localnames.
Oh.  There are implementations that attatch semantics to the
use of a specific prefix?  E.g. using "html:A" works and "h:A" does
not work?  That was certainly not the intent of namespaces, I
am sure, and would be very unfortunate.

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam@holoweb.net - http://www.holoweb.net/