RE: Language = Namespace. was: How namespace names might be used

Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> - a namespace corresponds to a language.  I know that some don't want this
> model but honestly without it all work on XML should stop
> immediately and be
> restarted with a proper footing. What is XHTML? a Language! That
> is actually
> what the letter stands for. There is meaning in it.  The meaning is NOT
> carried by out of band discussion, it is carried in the XHTML
> specification.

So how do you plan to resolve the issue that there are three different DTDs
for HTML? Should they be mapped into just one XML schema?

I fear that this statement (taken together with many of Dan's earlier
remarks) confirms that there is a disconnect about how things are supposed
to work. If your goal is to have

	namespace ~ language

	namespace name ~ URI where a schema (or another language definition)
resides

then IMHO this needs to be formalized and treated as an official W3C
document (with members voting on it and so on).

Julian