Re: A proposed solution

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:03:59 -0700
To: "David Carlisle" <david@dcarlisle.demon.co.uk>
Cc: <XML-uri@w3.org>
> > There is nothing in the current
> > namespace spec that prevents an application from deducing that two
> > things are identical at any level in the processing so I am interested
> > in hearing what you build your assumptions on.
>
> Some processor may decide to treat two namespaces in the same way,
> but it can't decide two different namespaces are the same namespace.

You have to choose here. URIs that use DNS hostnames are by the authority
of the DNS hostname case insensitive. It is impossible that any usage of
DNS hostnames can apply semantics to the case of characters when the
ultimate authority of DNS hostnames (DNS itself [1][2]) is case
insensitive.

If you don't want to deal with DNS hostnames, then use a GUID or something
else - that's fine - and that gives you exactly the semantics you are
after wrt comparison. But then you don't get indirection - you have to
choose - you can not get both in the current Internet. What you are
proposing is another "case A" [3] scenario that several people have
pointed out as flawed.

Henrik

[1] http://www.normos.org/ietf/rfc/rfc952.txt
[2] http://www.normos.org/ietf/rfc/rfc1123.txt